We are a four classroom school. We are situated on the main Enniscorthy to New Ross Road (N30/formerly N79). It is a short distance from Clonroche Village and ten miles from Enniscorthy. We have a view of the Blackstairs Mountains from the back of our school.
Our school is co-educational and is under the patronage of the Bishop of Ferns. The first national school in Clonroche opened in 1816. Our present school continues the tradition of serving the educational needs of the children enrolled. We provide a broad and varied curriculum. We believe learning in our school is the start of an important, life-long journey for our children.
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” W.B. Yeats
Click on our website links to find out more about us and our work.
The History of Our School
The first national school in the Clonroche district was situated in the Chapel Lane, in the townland of Ballymackessy, about one mile from Clonroche village. The site of the school was near the rear entrance of the present parochial house, but on the opposite side of the road. This school, which opened in 1816, operated six days a week. Friday was reserved for religious instruction. School hours were from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in summer and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in winter. The school was a two roomed building. Hugh O’Neill was the school master. He educated male students and his wife Mary Ann took charge of the females.
A new school was opened on 7th January, 1856 (site of the current school front yard). It was vested in the Commissioners of National Education and was partly funded by them. A local subscription of 1/3 of the cost was given by Lord Carew. There were two classrooms, each twentyfive feet by seventeen feet six inches. It was under the managership of Rev. Abraham Brownrigg PP. This school was to remain in use over 100 years until the present school was opened in 1969.
Clonroche became co-educational from 1st April, 1929 with Mr. P.J. Doyle as principal. Prior to this, boys and girls had been educated in separate rooms. By early 1932 an extra classroom had been added and some improvements to the existing building had been completed. Fr. Paul Francis Kehoe was manager during this period. The total cost came to £1,170-12s-4d.
The present school was built in 1968-1969 and officially opened on Tuesday, 18th February, 1969. Mr. Dermot Walsh, a Department of Education Inspector, performed the opening ceremony, and Fr. Walter Kane P.P. blessed the building. Mr. Sylvester Healy was principal at the time. It cost in the region of £25,000 and the contractor was Mr. Matthew Wallace, Campile. Each of its four classrooms could accommodate up to 40 pupils and was centrally heated throughout. Mrs. Browne of Clonroche gave the site free of charge. The site was to the rear of the old school. Parishioners raised 1/7 of the cost of the new buildings. A fifth classroom and general purpose room were added in 1979/1980. Fr. Brendan Kirby was manager at the time.
In the school year 2008/2009, a further extension was added (which included a classroom, three resource rooms and a staffroom) along with improvements to the current building.
(Research by our teacher Mrs. Kathleen Holohan)